Moon and its effect on Milky Way?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DMcGarvey
DMcGarvey Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Moon and its effect on Milky Way?

joenj wrote:

DMcGarvey wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

2 days ago I went to a nearby mountain to shoot the milky way as it was the first night without clouds for a while. Unfortunetly by the time I arrived the moon was starting to raise opposite side of the milky way core (that I was shooting), I used my usual ISO 800 SS 10 and 13seconds stacking, but once at home I saw in the results that the milky way was more faint than in my usual sets.

Could the moon rising behind a mountain on a far side affect the milky way in photos??

If so I will have to go back there again this weekend if the weather is as perfect as these last 2 days, no moon rise this weekend

Shooting astro photos under Moon light, and producing a decent result, is something I've been meaning to test but haven't done so yet. Usually I avoid it completely, but sometimes those are the only clear nights. In theory, Moon light should be able to be dealt with in the same manner as any other type of sky glow. I assume most of it would end up in the blue channel. With a wide field shot, it will no doubt create a large gradient.

Not sure what you mean when saying: "In theory, Moon light should be able to be dealt with in the same manner as any other type of sky glow"
You cannot just extract it. The moon illuminates the skies tl s level that the faint light of the stars becomes less visible (or invisible) to any camera sensor ...

Correct, just like light pollution or any other type of sky glow makes stars/nebulae less visible.  Seems to me that it could be subtracted from the shadows end using curves or levels.  Something I'd like to experiment with next time there's Moon light and a clear night.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow