Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary Lens Sharpness Test

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
byumpp
OP byumpp Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary Lens Sharpness Test

Michel Jarry wrote:

byumpp wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

The male mallard (in eclipse) looks great! The dames have brick-colored beaks!

Other than that, as your a6000 has no IBIS, you need to use the classic formula: 1/ (focal-length x crop factor) to avoid shake being an issue, especially as you've turned the OS off.

So never over 1/1,000 sec, probably using a 1/2,000 to be on the safe side when testing the lens' sharpness.

With OS on, I'd guess 1/250 is 'safe', but don't bank on it.

A more modern camera might have helped, too, as they are getting better at getting the right focus.

Thanks Tord! I turned off the OS when camera was on a tripod (in this case on a ladder). I have read that when the camera is on a tripod, the OS should be turned off. The OS was turned off only on those brick wall shots and they were taken on AP mode with the ISO 100.

I do not claim to know how to perform sophisticated lens testing but looking at your setup, I think that you are not eliminating all potential causes for blurriness :

• Even with a (relatively) fast shutter speed, your stepladder setup outside cannot prevent camera shake if there is even just a very mild wind or some vibrations caused by passing vehicles, especially if pixel peeping at 100%. This is why many will buy expensive carbon fibre tripods and top of the line heads.
  • Your Handheld shots cannot be considered relevant in this context.

The following shot is the sharpest I was able to achieve with my Tamron 150-600 G2 adapted to my Nikon Z7, in the following conditions:

• Shooting in my studio ;
  • Air conditioning turned off (no air flow);
  • Carbon fiber Gitzo tripod with Arca Swiss P0 ball head;
  • Target vertically levelled with electronic level;
  • Camera perfectly levelled and aligned to center of target;
  • Cable release with Exposure Delay of 3 seconds;
  • Electronic first shutter curtain (to avoid shutter & diaphragm slaps);
  • Vibration reduction OFF;
  • Sharpest picture over three shots (they were all perfectly in focus to me) using AF-S single point on the center of the target.

I suggest that you redo your tests indoors as thoroughly as you can, over several shots, and if in doubt, return your lens for replacement or repair if too late...

Good luck,

Michel

Michel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post! I really appreciate your time and the detailed response. Sorry, it took me a little longer to come back here and respond you. I was doing some more testing based on your advice. You seem to know how to perform a sophisticated lens testing!

By the way, the outdoor test, I was pretty far away from the road and there was a very few or no cars on the road. I was in a church parking lot. But the morning was kind of windy.

Well, I do not have all the equipments like yours, but I tried my best to do a good test indoor. I turned off the home AC. Made sure nobody was home, so there is nobody walking around. The height of the target and the camera/lens height were about the same. I used the new bigger bean bag on a very stable stool. Images were taken AP mode, 10 seconds timer, ISO 100. It's indoor in the morning, sun coming from the right side of the target thru closed window blinds.

Anyway, here are some photos. Please review and let me know if I should keep the lens or send back. I have time to return it.

First three set of photos, I am doing the back or front focus test that I saw online.

Focused on the middle battery on letter "G"

Focused on the most left battery on letter G.

Focused on the most right battery on letter G.

P.S.: I would also love to hear from those of you who have used the 150-600mm lens in the past or currently using it and what you think about the quality of the copy of my lens. It may have everything to do with my skills or not having the right tripod etc, but if you feel like something wrong with the lens, then I am sending it back. Thank you!

-- hide signature --
 byumpp's gear list:byumpp's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS 80D Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow