When it was "pentax corporation "

Started Aug 23, 2019 | Discussions thread
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,273
Re: Now backed by more reliable resources

Leandros S wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

Saying it's a pity it's a brand is the wrong way to think about it, imo. Pentax is now financially backed by a much bigger corporation that can ensure the brand's long-term survival. From the way Ricoh has intermingled its products with Pentax ones and been keen to put its own name on the camera from day one, I'd say they'll be keeping hold of all that for a while. And the division is turning a profit in spite of the generally dire state of demand for dedicated digital cameras.

You couldn't hope for a much better situation, really.

Really ?

Total Pentax cameras released

in the last 12 months. Zero.

In the 12 months before that: one (up dated K1)

In the 12 months before that: also one (KP)

1 new camera and one update in 3 years.

New lenses 3 new lenses and one old lens with a new coating in the same time.

Ricoh announced the new 85mm lens 3 years ago, and I no longer expect it to ship before Ricoh makes it's long awaited announcement of Pentax's final closure.

I don't think you understand macro-economics.

But without going into that, it should be clear to you by now that there will be no such "closure". (1) The anniversary is ongoing, and (2) it's just a brand. You can't "close" a brand.

Respectfully, Macro-economics is what happens at national economy level rather than at single business level. I studied economics for a while. I'm not sure what you're understanding of it is unless you are referring to the DSLR market being smaller than it was at its peak, though still much larger than the film SLR market was in both value and number of units.

You can't close a brand. No you just stop making those products, sell off what you have in the warehouse.

Ongoing anniversary ? Ashai optical was founded in November 1919 so November 2019 will be the 100th anniversary. It will be marked with nothing but words. A short time will pass before Ricoh says to the world that they have not employed anyone to develop Pentax cameras since 2017, and the last lens people went in late 2018, and production and marketing of Pentax products will cease in early 2020. However being unable to keep to a time scale it will be 2021 before production stops.

I could be wrong. I mooted that since the LX was Roman numbers for 60 marked AOC's 60th anniversary, a Pentax "C" for the the hundredth, which is both a APS "C" and a flagship camera, and accompanied by new & updated lenses (inc full frame). Or perhaps a replacement for the elderly 645 ... or anything.

I've had a 35 year love-affair with Pentax, and watching Ricoh drain the life out of it has been horrible.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow