Wildlife photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
G Rothwell Regular Member • Posts: 336
Re: Wildlife photography

Dave7878 wrote:

I have mostly taken pictures of landscapes and my kids playing sports, but would like to get into wildlife. I am using a D7500 and the longest lens I have is the Sigma 100-400C. A lot of the wildlife around me are smaller birds so I was considering purchasing a Nikon 200-500 or a Sigma 150-600 for the extra reach. I will most likely be cropping most of my shots. Do you think it makes sense to purchase a longer lens for wildlife and if so, which lens do you think would be better.

I have both the Nikon 200-500 and the Sigma 150-600 C, my partner and I both enjoy wildlife photography.

There really isn't much difference between them.  If I could afford to by a significantly better lens e.g. 500mm f/4 it would be the Nikon that I would sell.

The Sigma is noticeably lighter and easier to hand-hold, but do get the docking station and take the time to get your lens calibrated.

Also 400mm v 500mm (once cropped to the same final image size) might just about be noticeable, 400 v 600 would be a clearer (but still only small) difference.

regards

Graham

-- hide signature --

REMEMBER:
Photography is all about light.
Cameras and lenses are all about compromise.
Image quality is all about viewing distance.
Great photos are made by great photographers, not by great cameras.

G Rothwell's gear list:G Rothwell's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow