Tony Northrup - The TRUTH: Hi Megapixels + BIG Prints are a WASTE?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,617
Re: High Megapixels + BIG Prints

cyberpi1 wrote:

Bruce Oudekerk wrote:

… and, most relevant to this discussion, there is the issue of print preparation which Tony essentially ignores. It is very, very important. It is true that that we can’t create viable image ‘information’ in post because that’s baked into the capture. However we can prepare and present that information in a way as to make it appear of higher quality, especially with a good capture. In an ideal world, Tony’s experimentation should have included appropriate up-sampling at the printer’s native resolution and performing an output ‘sharpening’ suitable for that print. |Admittedly that ‘sharpening’ is actually modifying image acutance but when viewing prints it can greatly affect how the image detail appears."

So what? All images from all cameras wasn’t prepared to be printed.

Obviously I wasn't succinct enough.

My point was that the thresholds that were chosen as good enough or not good enough in Tony's informal evaluations would have moved upward with proper processing for print and it would have been interesting to see how these demarcations moved.

You can also sharpen images from A7Riv or upscale them.

It's not 'or'. For proper print prep it's 'and' if the print is large.

Maybe after sharpening and other print preparations you’ll be able to print a bit larger files from A7Riii, A7iii and iphone X, but imagine what you can get from 240mp file.

Of course, and I said that. I even qualified by stating "especially with a good (meaning high quality) capture" I agree that a technically proficient 240MP file should easily suffice as a good high quality capture.

Anyway, you can’t get extra data with sharpening and upscaling, don’t fool youself.

Although you didn't leave it in, I did say: " ‘sharpening’ is actually modifying image acutance but when viewing prints it can greatly affect how the image detail appears." FWIW in case you didn't know, 'acutance' is a more or less subjective assessment of sharpness that is affected by changes in edge contrast. It does not in anyway add to the information inherent in a image.

I try not to fool myself but I'm pretty wily.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow