In anticipating the incoming M6mkII, how mkI holds up till now for me

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,542
Re: In anticipating the incoming M6mkII, how mkI holds up till now for me

Alastair Norcross wrote:

noisephotographer wrote:

Craig Smith wrote:

(Look for the original M6 to be on sale this holiday season.)

I wouldn't recommend that unless you never use P mode + Auto Iso. The M6 has a serious issue in P mode + Auto Iso, but nobody in this forum is talking about that (I guess most users here are very biased or don't test cameras accurately):

This is just plain idiotic. You complained about this extensively a while ago. I didn't know about it before that, because, like most people with the M6, I don't use P mode. I haven't used P mode on a camera in over thirty years. So I didn't test the camera in P mode for this behavior, because I knew I'd never be using P mode. For me, and many (probably most) others, it's simply a non-issue.

Oh, so there is a preference disqualified because you don't have the same preference and the M6 has a design flaw.

So the camera does something that some people don't like (but for which there's actually a good reason--see below), but doesn't affect the vast majority of users. Why should we talk about it? You've already told us about it, so what more is there to say?

That it would be nice if the problem - although it is not your problem - would be solved with the newest M6 version. I see everybody here repeating there preferences regarding the new M6, so why is the redundancy in this case all of a sudden so problematic?

That Noise person can't use the M6, because he can't figure out how to use the camera in one of the other modes. Oh dear! Let's wring our hands for him, and keep posting about it, so as not to be 'biased'. We get it. You feel you have to use P mode with auto ISO, and you can't keep the camera still, so it selects 1/250, and you don't like it.

In P mode + Auto Iso the M6 will often choose 1/250s, even with the stabilized 15-45mm at 15mm in low-light conditions. Then you will capture even less light in low-light conditions than very old(!) smartphone cameras.

It seems that this happens when the camera detects that it is moving, but even very small normal(!) movements can cause 1/250s at high Isos

Yes, small movements cause it to select 1/250, and then, when you hold still again, it reverts to the more appropriate slower speed immediately.

In the 70D the "immediacy" isn't that immediate. It might be trying to intelligent, but if it is the same as with the M6 it is a slow intelligence really.

If you are moving the camera while taking the shot, it needs a higher speed. This is actually an intelligent feature by Canon. Overall, the auto ISO implementation on the M6 is not great (but not because of this particular issue), but it's easy to live with it, if you understand the basics of photography. Maybe the M6II will improve that. If so, good, but it's such a minor issue that you'd have to be either a monomaniac or an incompetent

(...)

photographer to rule out the camera on that basis.

I would say: Just don't rule out another photographer because he/she has a preference you don't have.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow