At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,225
Re: Sports Events . . .

Mark_A wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

That is a lot of images, what is your workflow in post?

It is actually pretty quick.

I shoot JPG in order to get more shots in the buffer, so I aim to have as close to SOOC images as possible. Not completely possible because I am shooting manual exposure and the flicker of the lights is picked up by the high shutter speed. And the uneven spread of lights on the apparatus / floor means there is going to be slight variation throughout a routine.

Aha, yes shooting jpeg removes some steps indeed.

While I am waiting for the next athlete(s) to compete, I preview the images on the back of my camera and "write-protect" the "keepers". That way my "keepers" are already selected before I get home.

At the end of the day, I back-up all the images, but only load the "keepers" (write-protected images) into Lightroom.

So is that the dos write protect that you are doing? I didn't even realise you could do that in camera.

Yes.

I'm not sure if all cameras do it, but all the cameras I've had did it.

On my Nikon dSLR, when I am previewing a picture I just "protect" it.

When I copy all the files to my computer to back them up, I then do a sort on the "attributes".

In Windows it's hidden. When I open a "File Explorer" window and view the directory with its files, I have to do a "right-click" on the bar with the field titles. I then add "attributes" to the list of fields to display. And then I do a sort on "attributes". All the write-protected files get grouped together. Then I just copy those write-protected files over to another folder. Remove the write-protect. And then import into Lightroom.

EDIT: If I have time on vacation, I'll do this as well. Not a lot while camping as there is always something to be done while camping. But . . . when we take a plane or train somewhere. When my family is resting I'll pull out the cameras and make my selects. So when I get back home at least that is done.

While importing into Lightroom I have Lightroom rename the file so the date+time is put at the beginning of the filename. That way, down the line, if I need to know which competition a photo was taken at, I just need to look at the date. And if shooting with two or more cameras, it puts all the images from all the cameras in chronological order.

Aha yes good thing for multiple cameras I hadn't thought of that.

+1

Since my wife and I sometimes shot at the same time at gymnastics . . . adding date+time at the beginning of the file grouped all the shots of an athlete together so that it was easier to see all the shots of an athlete. (As long as I remembered to synchronize all camera clocks at the beginning of the day.) LOL.

I also do this for my vacation pictures, since I often shoot different cameras on vacation. For a hike, I might use my dSLR. But for a run to the beach I'll take my waterproof compact. Adding date+time to the beginning of the file means that all my vacation pictures will put themselves in chronological order.

NOTE: For vacation shots, I might not run them through Lightroom. I'll often shoot JPG on vacation. So I use NAMEXIF to add the date+time to the beginning of the filename, right in the Windows folder. And I just found another program called Bulk Rename Utility to do this.

And . . . if I copy a picture out for some reason . . . I have a way to know when a shot was taken and be able to look back on my digital family album to find the rest of the pictures.

Also . . .

It protects against the possibility that two cameras write the same file name. In which case, if I had copied those two files to the same folder, one file would be over-written and lost.

Adding the date+time to the beginning of the file, even if two cameras end up writing the images with the same file number, the chance of those two files being taken at exactly the same time is very slim, thus greatly reducing the chance of lost files.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

Mark_A

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow