VCL-HGD1758 or VCL-HG1758

Started Feb 6, 2003 | Discussions thread
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 5,014
Re: VCL-HGD1758 or VCL-HG1758 or VCL-DH1758?

sybersitizen wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

I already have a collection of scopes, I just want the right superzoom set up for quick grab and go imaging of the moon and planets (and for birding) ...

I found this: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38016759 that's a nice shot of Saturn with the DH1758 dont you think?

Nice is a relative term. It is recognizable as Saturn, which is an accomplishment ... but it's actually not much more than a blob.

And my HS50 has a larger zoom (1000mm vs 720mm) and more MP (16 vs 10), so it should do better on Saturn?

I guess. Maybe.

I also found this comparison of the HGD vs other non Sony lenses and specs for it- it is the heaviest by far with a 90mm objective! Would this much larger lens be brighter than the DH and better for resolving the bands on Jupiter and Saturn?

I would think you'd have to go to your collection of scopes if you really want to resolve bands on Jupiter and Saturn, and leave the superzoom for easy shots of the moon and terrestrial stuff like birding ... in which case you ought to be just fine with no TC at all.

Yep that would save the agonizing over whether the DH or HGD version is better.  I think it turns out the HGD is better anyway, it should be with a 90mm objective and weighing 20 oz!  But with that much heft at the end of a long lens, a tripod would be required, in which case a scope is more convenient to use anyway.

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow