Philly Travel with only my Google Pixel 3

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,681
Philly Travel with only my Google Pixel 3

For the first time in I don't know how long, I did not bring my dslr with me on a trip using air travel. For a few reasons. One, I have been to Philly numerous times and did not think I would encounter many scenes that would be new to me. Two, it was a family reunion trip so photography was not the priority. Third, I would have the increased freedom of movement from only having my backpack to carry through the airport and take with me on the plane. Fourth, my Pixel did a bang up job as a complementary piece of my kit on a recent trip to New York. I like the Pixel as I reported at length in a review in the Cameraphone Forum a couple of months back. It does not perform as well in situations of extreme dynamic range such as city nightscapes with artificial lighting, and the digital zoom often leaves something to be desired. But, I think it takes on the demands of cityscapes pretty well. Here are a few.

The mural tour was quite interesting:

Easy to use for street pics. I think this one held up pretty well to pretty significant cropping. I find it usually better to crop a pic taken at full view rather than take one using digital zoom.

The pics above I enhanced in camera and then enhanced some more in my iMac's photo app. Typically, I just process in camera then share taking advantage of the immediacy allowed by cellphone technology. Perhaps worked on these some more due to the fact that I have no dslr raw files to process. This one got no computer processing and no cropping:

Here is a traditional shot. Independence Hall is probably shot a million times a year. Still, I like to take a few when I go to Philly.

The best for last. It is the most popular image I have posted to Flickr in who knows how long. Shot in a standard manner for me. I step back and get a wide shot of a certain food with the intention of cropping the image to share it in a square format on Instagram. I wanted to do this rather quickly to be able to drink it while still warm. Even so, I passed it around the table so everyone could have a taste. It was that good. Mind-blowing. As tasty as it was visually appealing. Served at Suraya's in Fishtown. Well worth the visit.

H

I hope you enjoyed. I do plan on taking plenty of gear on my next trip to Colorado.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow