Focusing Fast MF lenses w/ Live View

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
filmluvr
filmluvr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,776
Focusing Fast MF lenses w/ Live View

I currently have a precision focus screen in my Canon 5D that makes it possible to achieve critical focus on all my adapted MF lenses. That includes a recently acquired 55mm f/1.2 that couldn't be consistently focused with the standard factory screen. Now I'm thinking about upgrading, but none of the newer bodies have interchangeable screens.

My question is whether anyone here is using Live View for this purpose, and if so, whether you find it to be a convenient method. I typically use MF lenses only for still life and occasional portraiture. These shots aren't as time-critical as, say, street photography, where I've learned to rely on fast AF. Still, if live view requires composing in 1X, then going to a 5X or 10X mode in order to achieve critical focus, it might be cumbersome to use.

I'm just wondering how other users handle this issue. Again, my concern relates mostly to use of very fast lenses, and it would be particularly helpful to hear from anyone using a body in the Canon 5D/6D series.

Thanks!

jack

filmluvr's gear list:filmluvr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow