Considered the best IQ in 15-17mm, 1.7-1.8 prime?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,568
Re: DJI 15mm F1.7

buratino wrote:

Not PL, but my copy is made in Japan.

I've seen various speculations that the DJI 15mm f/1.7 is/was made in the same factory as the Panasonic-Leica 15mm lens, except the coating on the lens is different.

If you are buying new, the lenses tend to go from cheapest to most expensive:

• Olympus 17mm f/1.8
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4
  • Panasonic-Leica 15mm f/1.7

Originally the DJI 15mm f/1.7 was more expensive than the PL version new, but neither B&H nor Amazon seem to carry it any longer.  The DJI lens was the kit lens for a DJI drone that used micro 4/3rds lenses (Zen Muse?)

However, if you search around the used market, often times the DJI was cheaper than the PL.

The Olympus tends to be cheaper than either the PL or DJI lenses, but it seems to be subject to a lot of sample variation.

I bought the Sigma 16mm in addition to the PL 15mm, primarily because it is rated to be splash proof, but given the size/weight of the lens, I tend to take the PL more often, as it is easy to throw 2-3 of the small lenses in the bag.

So far I haven't used the Sigma 16mm lens (I had planned to take it out 3 weeks ago, but I had a broken HLD-6 that I needed to replace).  I have taken out the PL 15mm, and I feel it provides great images.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow