Tony Northrup - The TRUTH: Hi Megapixels + BIG Prints are a WASTE?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,148
Re: Tony Northrup - The TRUTH: Hi Megapixels + BIG Prints are a WASTE?

JimH123 wrote:

Ken Sky wrote:

To be fair to Tony, his conclusion was that the higher pixel count was best viewed as "future proofing" his files.

Yes, he did say that.

But I still wonder how resizing the A7iii 200% and comparing to the A7Riv would have worked out in his test. I suspect with only comparing 8x10 prints that it might be close.

For someone who rarely prints large, it might not be that bad of a way to go.

If increasing detail were just a matter of upsampling, there wouldn't be any need for high res sensors. You'd just have 24MP worth of detail spread across 48MP worth of pixels.

The way I see it, my eyes prob won't see more than a 40" 8K monitor's worth of detail, which when you factor in aspect ratios is 24MP for the full picture height. Maybe take a little more for cropping and detail. When I need more detail, the subject often lends itself nicely to a sweep panorama- I have plenty of big prints shot from that method and they look great. I don't need 100MP snapshots and portraits.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow