Safari Lens and Body Options - Zambia

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
darkcloud154
darkcloud154 New Member • Posts: 10
Safari Lens and Body Options - Zambia

Hi,

I am travelling to Zambia in mid-sept for a self drive safari. We will be going to South Luangwa and also Kafue.

I currently have;

• Nikon D810
  • 24-120 f4 lens
  • 16-35 f4 lens
  • Monopod

Looking to rent for def:

• 200-500 f5.6 Nikkor

I did think about the sigma lens - the big 150-600mm ones, but every comparison i have seen says the Nikkor is sharper and has better colour reproduction. But some say there isn't much in it.

Debating:

• 70-200 f2.8 / or even f4?
  • Another body;
    • D610
    • D7200

I keep reading, and also have been given advice by some pro's via msg on Instagram, that for Safari it makes sense to take 2 bodies with 2 focal lengths on 2 bodies. It doesn't make sense to have one body unless you have something like a 60-600mm Sigma. But not convinced those huge focal lengths produce the best images as there are always compromises in making those lens.

Question;

• does it make sense to hire another body, and if so a dx or a full frame one, i'm thinking of ISO performance - i think my D810 will take the 200-500
  • Does it make sense to hire the 70-200 f2.8 or hire another body and use the 24-120?

Any other thoughts would be welcomed. Weight isn't an issue as we are not flying via light aircrafts.

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow