D7100 issues - time to replace?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Snyder Regular Member • Posts: 315
D7100 issues - time to replace?

Anyone have this happen to their D7100 or have any suggestions?  Recently my D7100 has been acting up - when I put it into continuous high mode (with the setting for max conitinuous release maxed out at 100, large resolution, jpeg fine settings) the camera behaves as if I were shooting in RAW - I get about 4 images at the max fps but then around 1 shot per second after that.  Shutter speed is above 1/200 - doesn't make a difference.  I've tried resetting the camera without any change.  I've tried different memory cards but that hasn't helped either.  Previously I was able to pretty much shoot at max fps as long as I wanted to in jpeg.  Battery is fully charged, tried with and without the 3rd party grip - no difference.

An additional recent issue I've encountered is when using the monitor for image review the picture colors are very washed out and look incorrect (especially skin tones).  Color space is sRGB which is what I've always used.  Menus and other things look fine.  When I download the pictures to my computer they look as they should.  Both of these issues seemed to just happen spontaneously and have now persisted.

I have a 10 month old daughter so the continuous shooting is a real issue when trying to get the perfect expression.  The monitor issue isn't as bad since the pictures aren't affected but its still a frustration.

Any ideas for a fix to my current camera?  I'm contemplating upgrading to a D500 (I went from a D200 to the 7100 and miss some of the build quality but otherwise I was very happy with the 7100).  I'm also hesitant to upgrade to the D500 since it is now getting up in age - the only feature I'd appreciate from its eventual successor (if there is one) would be full sensor 4K video.  Full frame isn't an option for me since I have a bunch of DX optimized lenses (Nikon 17-55 2.8 - favorite lens, Nikon 18-140, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 70-200 1st gen which I've heard isn't that great on full frame).  Mirorless isn't an option since I like the form factor of the DSLR and have a lot invested in lenses.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Ben

Ben Snyder's gear list:Ben Snyder's gear list
Fujifilm MX-1400 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow