2019 update?: Which lens with 80D for sports (surfing) - Canon 400mm-f/5.6 or Canon 100-400mm ii?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ohaya
ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 143
2019 update?: Which lens with 80D for sports (surfing) - Canon 400mm-f/5.6 or Canon 100-400mm ii?

Hi,

I can find some discussions, both here and elsewhere about which would be better between the Canon 400mm vs. the 100-400mm non-ii, mainly about BIF, but I was wondering about the Canon 400mm vs. the 100-400mm ii, for a sport like surfing, specifically with the 80D?

For what I am looking for, surfing, specifically, I can't foresee shooting close in...  distances are typically at about 50 to100+ yards, so the minimum focus distance is not a concern/issue.

I know that the 100-400mm has IS, vs. the 100mm, which doesn't, but I shoot mainly on a tripod, with a gimbal.

So things I am wondering about (in comparison) are AF speed with the 80D and IQ.

I am not currently planning to use a 1.4x extender, but I guess that is also a potential thing I might do, so I'm also interested in how that compares between those 2 lenses and using the 80D?

Sorry for lots of questions.  I've been thinking of renting both to try them, but I always (mentally) hesitate because that $100-200 for rental could go towards actual purchase :)!!

Jim

ohaya's gear list:ohaya's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus E-M5 II Canon EOS 80D Fujifilm X-T30
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow