Lenses for an Air Show?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Lenses for an Air Show?

tvstaff wrote:

Morvegil wrote:

My kit listed below.

I was thinking should I rent a 100-400 or a Sigma 600mm as well? I figure my wide angle and 50mm can do the walking around shots...but for action im not sure 70-300 will be good enough.

Thoughts? Ive never been to an airshow. I bought the "PhotoPit" tickets, so i get awesome seating.

If you're going to be hand holding and are using a 1DX or 1DX MKII - I highly recommend the f/2.8 300mm II utilizing the 64 Cross-Points. If you have the distance to use this combination you'll find and amazingly fast focusing kit to capture everything. Even if you have to crop you'll find a great many keepers that are magazine quality.

Otherwise, for the show grounds and people a 24-70 or 70-200 would do well, I would bring those three lenses.

My thought is that a tripod and gimbal would not allow you to get the variance in the flight patterns. "If" the flight patterns ARE set then Canon's amazing 200-400 with a built in 1.4 could work but that's a HUGE swing!!!! The people next to you will be black & Blue <ROFL>

I think a zoom is a great benefit. I went to a local air show a week ago and I really used the zoom capabilities and I would have been limited by a prime. The gear can be quite heavy after some time so I find a gimbal very useful to get enough stabilization for slow enough shutter speeds.  You are right - the 1DX mk ii + 200-400L + tripod + gimbal is a great combo for flight shows and nobody was hurt. A few from the grey and rainy day:

This plane doesn't need introduction  as it was used in the movie

If you can't remember the name of the movie

Another legend

And one of our own

My wife got great results from a 80D + 100-400L mk ii so it doesn't have to be that expensive.

-- hide signature --

Oh no! He should know by now that "equivalence" is a forbidden word for APS-C but perfectly allowed for 1” Sonys, compact cameras, smartphones and maybe even for M43s.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow