Hi fellow Pentax users & a little about me and why I’ve joined.

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wahid Khan 1961 New Member • Posts: 17
Hi fellow Pentax users & a little about me and why I’ve joined.

Warning: A long hello and introduction to myself and apologies for the rambling nature of this post.

I’ve been reading DPReview regularly since 2003 and have enjoyed and appreciated the very many great forum topics and contributions by Pentax Users from across the globe. I’ve been particularly impressed by the civility of the vast majority of the comments and feedback to fellow users. Also the depth of knowledge and experience is humbling at times. I’ve noticed that a few members have left or are thinking of leaving Pentax recently. So I thought I’d join to help bolster the numbers by one and, who knows, there may be many more like me, quietly using and enjoying Pentax products and might decided to share their views.

I worked as a Computing and Electrical Engineering lecturer for all my working life in the FE (Further Eduction) sector. For those of you not familiar with this UK sector, it primarily caters for vocation eduction and training, mainly for school leavers or adults who need to study for a qualification whilst at work. I live in Bedford (UK) and retired at a ripe old age of 53 back in 2014, God I should have done it sooner! Given my ex-profession you may be shocked to know that I’ve never owned a mobile phone and have no social networking presence at all. I survive in utter bliss without either and long may that continue. I briefly joined LinkedIn for work reasons and regretted it instantly. Cancelled my account within days.

Bought my first ‘real’ camera back in 1985, a Pentax Program A with an A 50mm f1.7. Still have it somewhere, more for sentimental reasons than any real intent to shoot film again. Why Pentax? Well I like small, well crafted cameras and it was a choice between Pentax and Olympus back then. Pentax won out for economic reasons. Have no regrets about the choice at all.

Joined the digital age with a Pentax K10D, then a Samsung GX20, followed by a Pentax K5 and lastly a K3. Still got the latter two and loving them. Plenty happy with sub-FF cameras. I can honestly say of the 1000’s of naff pictures I’ve taken over the years, I can’t blame the technology for the vast majority, rather it’s down to my poor skills as a photographer and understanding of the equipment I’ve been using.

I’ll probably stay with Pentax till I drop simply because they provide all I need and I love their general philosophy of ‘more bangs for the buck’ plus some innovative and sometimes unique features. I particularly like how I can use lenses that go back decades with very little extra outlay and hassle. All of them are built like tanks and will last for many more years to come if not abused. I have total confidence in their robustness and ability to cope with inclement weather. I also like the fact that they don’t release a new camera as regularly as some other marques. I feel, perhaps wrongly, this leads them to built their flagship models to last and will support them for longer. I appreciate that this view is very subjective and may well be challenged by users with other experiences. The 24 MP of the K3 and indeed the 16 MP of the K5 are more that adequate for my needs. I mostly shoot landscapes and natural scenes on holidays, so fast auto-focus and long, fast telephoto lenses is no big deal for me. I do understand that it is an issue for some. Love the compact Limited primes, though I do miss the aperture ring on the DAs. Would love to use them on my NX cameras.

I’m a big fan of OVF over EVF over non-at-all. I feel that holding a camera to my eye/face actually helps the overall stability and reduces hand-shake. Again, I know many others may well disagree.

Bought into the Samsung range for pretty much the same reasons. In order for a new comer to break into an established market they simply had to give more for less. What a shame they left the camera business and what a shame Pentax/Ricoh didn’t buy/licence their technology.

Lastly and sadly, if Pentax do survive and thrive for many more years to come, it will be no thanks to me. I’ve always bought yesterday’s technology at barging basement prices, mostly second-hand. This is also true of my other two main hobbies, namely classic hi-fi and astronomy. The only new item in my gear list is the DA 55-300mm. Being retired on a very modest income means this is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. Indeed it’s going to be very difficult to break a life-time habit even if I was to win the national lottery.

So, once again, hello to everyone and long may you use and enjoy your equipment, which ever brand you use.

Gear List

Pentax Cameras: K3 & K5

Pentax Prime Lenses: K 24mm f2.8, A 28mm f2.8, F 28mm f2.8, DA SMC 35mm f2.8 Limited, DA 40mm f2.8 Limited, F 50mm f2.8 Macro, A 50mm f1.4, M50mm f1.4, M 85mm f2, M 135mm f3.5, DA 18-135 HD WR f3.5-5.6, DA HD 20-40mm f2.8-4 Limited, DA 55-300mm ED HD WR f4-5.8, A 70-210mm f4

Other Lenses: Samyang 14mm f2.8, Revunon 50mm f1.4, Sigma EX DG 50mm f2.8 Macro, Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Macro, Tamron SP Di-II 10-24mm f3.5-4.5, Sigma EX DC HMS 17-50mm f2.8, Tamron SP Di LD 70-200 f2.8

Samsung Cameras: NX1, NX500, NX20, NX10 & NX1000

Sansung NX Lenses: 16mm f2.4, 20mm f2.8, 30mm f2, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Samsung GX-20 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow