Website theme choice and design considerations advice please

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PeterGuyton.com
PeterGuyton.com Senior Member • Posts: 2,327
Re: Website theme choice and design considerations advice please

Dweeble wrote:

Hi. I'm just starting out, focused exclusively on equine photography. Brave I know, but I think my background in and understanding of horses and their owners might give me an edge. Or an in, at any rate!

Clearly a website is kinda important.

I'm totally un-techy, but having been stuffed by website designers in the past want at least to be as well informed as possible or even do it myself.

Am told Wordpress and Linux is the way to go. Any comments?

Remember "Wordpress" is really two worlds, there's "Wordpress.com" which is sort of a turnkey version of Wordpress, then there's the Wordpress standard world where you choose any theme from tens of thousands and a hosting company (Bluehost, Siteground, Wpengine,  and many others etc) and run with it.   Your options there are almost overwhelming.

There are other non-Wordpress options too like Squarespace and Format.com, PIxpa, photoshelter etc. Many of those are sort of Wordpress variants under the hood and have similar feel.

Since you are "un-techy", you may want to take a look at Squarespace and Format.com and some of the others. They may have 20 to 30 template options (vs thousands with Wordpress) but for what you are needing they are pretty simple. With Wordpress, I found it needed more "management" on my part and you may not want that?

And what would be amazing would be pointers to a theme which has worked for others. I'm browsing the Wordpress catalogue and my brain is being fried by the choice.

My current thoughts on what I should have:

Clean and light design

Ability for clients to access their images with a password

A blog, really a series of short articles

Don't think I need e-commerce, I'm not planning on selling stock images.

Ideas advice do's and don'ts MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

PeterGuyton.com's gear list:PeterGuyton.com's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow