Low Light Performance - 5D Models

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
filmluvr
filmluvr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,776
Low Light Performance - 5D Models

I'm contemplating the purchase of a MKIV to replace my aging 5D. As a non-commercial enthusiast, my interests generally relate to travel, portraiture and closeups/macro. Frame rates and video are relatively unimportant to me. I use EF and adapted lenses.

Priorities for the upgrade are threefold: better AF, greater DR, and better low-light (high ISO) performance. After researching this for some time, I'm concerned that the latter may not have materially improved in any of the newer 5D MKxx models.

I've searched the Web extensively for information on this point, and what I've concluded is that when I compare ISO 1600 images (I never shoot higher), the MKIV is only very slightly less noisy. The MKII in fact is worse, a step backward, and the MKIII appears indistinguishable.

The MKIV is said to exhibit much greater overall DR than its predecessors, and it seems odd to me that this wouldn't translate into substantially better low-light performance. For this reason, I'm hoping someone here can either confirm my conclusions or point me to an authoritative source that contradicts these findings.

One last issue of concern has to do with my MF lenses. I use a high contrast focus screen to allow critical focus for macros and portraiture. Is it correct that the MKIII and MKIV do not have interchangeable screens?

Thanks for any assistance!

Jack

filmluvr's gear list:filmluvr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow