I didn't even know how to spell "mesh" (networks)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carey Brown
Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,927
I didn't even know how to spell "mesh" (networks)

If you want the whole sordid tale then see this thread .

The short version is that my mom's house has the cable modem in the far corner of a large'ish house and my signal throughout the house was miserable to non-existant.

I considered a better router or a repeater. Then someone mentioned "mesh". So I did a bit of reading and it seemed to solve similar problems for other people. Now, which one? I ended up with "Google WiFi" which I have mixed feelings about. Google does networking very well but they seem to scrape up any bit of personal information they can.

Knowing this I installed a 3x set but opted-out of anything that referenced the cloud or information sharing.

The setup did involve some initial head-banging. Google doesn't use text to label connections they use icons. So, tell me, what does "< - - >" mean? Intuitive huh?

So of course I put the cables in the wrong order and the setup wouldn't work. After a couple of more tries I swapped the cables and then it worked. From there the setup went pretty quickly. After putting the other modules in various rooms -- I now have full WiFi strength throughout the house. Yippee!!!

Thanks for your help.

If you aren't familiar with mesh devices, they are intelligent repeaters of sorts. Something like cellphone towers, they connect your computer or device with the module that shows the strongest signal.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow