Questions for prime shooters

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,622
Questions for prime shooters

If you are shooting with a set of primes (not just one prime lens), I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

• How many primes you would take along instead of a zoom or a couple of zooms? Does the total weight play an important role in the decision?
  • What spacing between the focal lengths you are comfortable with? I.e., what ratio of cropping is acceptable?
  • Would you bring two primes with same or close focal length for different purposes (e.g., a 90mm f/2.8 for macro and 85mm f/1.4 for portrait)?
  • Do you think that set of primes only makes sense if the primes are faster than usual zooms (faster than f/2.8)?
  • Do you have different sets of primes for different purposes (e.g., a set for landscapes, a set for light travel, etc.)?
  • Please share your set(s) of primes, if you want to.

Thanks!

P.S. Why am I asking all these questions? I am considering Sony A7R4 (not immediately, but within a year or so). It will provide enough spare pixels to crop for the best framing, and, at the same time, demand maximum sharpness in the center of the field (the area which will not be cropped out).

-- hide signature --
 ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow