Damaged my ZS70, ordered a new ZS80

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
panoptic Regular Member • Posts: 219
Damaged my ZS70, ordered a new ZS80

Folks

Just before the 2017 solar eclipse, I bought a ZS70 as an upgrade to my trusty ZS25. Longer zoom, tilting screen, viewfinder, improved color processing, adjustable parameters for sharpness, etc.

I've enjoyed the greater reach and especially the tilting screen, also occasionally using the viewfinder, which is surprisingly useful. Colors are more pleasing as well, closer to what I perceive without the camera.

16,000+ photos later, I stupidly left it on top of the car and drove off, only to hear it thump its way off a few miles later. I recovered the camera and extracted the chip and battery, but alas, it hit hard on one corner, popped open the main case seam, and won't start up. I suspect the lens will out of alignment and with the other damage decided it isn't worth fixing.

I tried to talk myself into a Sony HX9# camera, especially interested in the smaller more pocketable size, but in the end decided to stay with a known good thing, with the same battery and case size and familiar menus. I've handled a Sony HX9# a few times and found its smaller size problematic: harder to grip, smaller closer buttons, and felt more fragile. Reviews seemed to have it roughly equivalent to the ZS70 for IQ.

Lots of used ZS70s and 80s at BH and Adorama, but I decided to go for a new ZS80. Bundled with an external charger, extra battery, 32GB chip, case, software, etc. from Adorama for $448. Arriving Monday in time for a kayak camping trip.

From what I've read, the ZS80 has nearly identical specs except for Bluetooth and a larger higher res viewfinder, which I'm looking forward to using. Also something called Zoom Compose Assist to help locate subjects while at long zoom range. According to the Imaging Resource site, it looks like operation is a little faster as well.

Meanwhile, I have the remains of my ZS70. Looks like the screen is fine and it didn't hit on the lens, so that may be okay. I'll give it away to someone if you'll pay the postage.

Larry

Portland, Oregon

panoptic's gear list:panoptic's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 (Lumix DC-TZ90) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 (Lumix DMC-TZ35)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow