Inkjet vs chemical prints

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,355
Re: Inkjet vs chemical prints

If you are just talking about having them printed for you by a lab, for color inkjet wins by a landslide in longevity and color range. You also have a much wider range of papers to choose from in the ink jet world.

We really need to differentiate typical lab inkjet prints versus high-end lab inkjet prints. The large majority of typical commercial lab inkjet prints, often called 'dry lab' prints, use dye inks similar to home photo printer dye inks, and papers similar to both home inkjet glossy and luster, and typical wet-lab (RA-4 process) color papers. I have seen no evidence that they offer substantial advantages over wet-lab / RA-4 process color prints.

The prints that can have substantial advantages in longevity and color range are pigment-ink inkjet prints on high-end 'art' papers. But then they tend to cost a lot more. And to get the color range, you probably have to use and upload them in a color space wider than sRGB.

For lab black and white the edge goes to wet prints but it's really close. Longevity is slightly better or the same as pigment inkjet prints. The range of papers is far larger for inkjet.

I was disappointed but not shocked to read the recent posts from Mark McCormick of Aardenburg about optical brightening agents in black and white papers for wet processing (e.g., https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62951050 and https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62955048). The takeaway appears to me to be that for prints on display, OBA yellowing in current and recent-decades B&W wet papers makes them on the whole less archival than pigment inkjet prints on OBA-free papers.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow