Ques. about 80D auto-focus: How does the initial point get set/determined?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ohaya
ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 129
Ques. about 80D auto-focus: How does the initial point get set/determined?

Hi,

My question is for the zone, large zone, and wide-tracking settings. When you use those, I gather that an initial focus point is set or determined somehow, when the shutter is half-pressed or if BBF button is pressed, and then the camera automatically tries to follow that point.

I saw a video awhile ago for Liveview tracking and with that, they set the initial point using the touchscreen.

But what if you (I) shoot only with the viewfinder and am using one of those modes.

What sets the first focus point, and how is that done?

From some crude testing, it almost looks like the camera (80D in my case) just figures out that point by itself when the shutter button is half-pressed.

Is that right?

If so, what basis does it use to figure that point out?

Also, is there a way to choose the initial point/target myself instead of the camera trying to decide on that?

Thanks,

Jim

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I found this page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/the-power-of-canon-autofocus/optical-viewfinder-shooting

and from the wording on that page, it sounds like the camera figures that point out, but even if so, HOW (what criteria) does the camera use to make that decision?

ohaya's gear list:ohaya's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus E-M5 II Canon EOS 80D Fujifilm X-T30
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow