Storage Solution for Large Photo Collection

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DerKeyser Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: One caveat...

Flashlight wrote:

DerKeyser wrote:

1: It does Raid 6, so it can handle two drive failures in a set (fx 6x8Tb drives = 32Tb Usable space).

Many people with knowledge about RAID systems appear to advise against using more than 5 x 3TB drives in a RAID array. The rationale is that when a disk goes bad with larger arrays, during the repair cycle the stress on the other drives (which have the same age as the faulty one) is such that one or more are likely to fail as well.

I do have a few Synology NASes myself where one is at my daughters house in another city. We do both nightly automated backups to each other. In the long run this is much cheaper than a paid cloud service, especially with a large photo collection.

With Synology (do not know about QNap) the source of the backup must be on the internal drives, but the remote target can be a USB external drive attached to the remote Synology. So the Synology at my daughters house is a relatively cheap one-disk Synology with a large USB disk attached which holds a copy of my photo collection.

Another advantage of this strategy is that, if disaster strikes and I need the backup, I just drive to my daughters house and have all the images on a USB drive that I can plug directly into my computer. No need to slowly copy everything through the Internet.

Yes, it is correct that in enterprise workloads it is not advised going above 5x3Tb in Raid5 due to the risk I mentioned. Also, that is Raid 5 - not Raid 6, and yes I know Raid 6 has it’s statistical challenges as well....

But note that the quality of cheap NAS/Always on disks have been increasing for years now, and the drives will in no way be exposed to a enterprise workload 24/7 on a private homeowner NAS. Most of the time they will likely be in “spindown” mode, and not really stressed at any point in their life.

So if you purchase quality NAS ready drives like WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf, I wouldn’t worry much about a Raid 6 failing. Raid 5 yes, but not 6. But it is REALLY important to buy the right kind of quality drives that support internal error correction and time limited error reporting. Standard desktop drives dies like flies when setup in a Raid array on a NAS. Also, I would recommend going with 5400Rpm disks like WD Red because of the way lower temperature, power usage and vibration levels. For sequential access to images/videos on a Raid array of disks it makes no performance difference anyways in a NAS limited til 1Gbe networking (112MB/s).

Whether having another NAS to replicate to or using a Cloud service is best, is a matter of personal choice. In my opinion A cloud copy combined with the 3rd copy being made by myself to a USB disk is FAR AND ABOVE more secure and better that having another NAS and Internet connection to setup/maintain. And I don’t believe another NAS is cheaper at any rate compared to cloud when you factor in renewal of hardware, power and so on.

The “File retention” mechanism of deleted or changed files a cloud service delivers alone (not mentioning the uptime and quality of their service compared to a 200$ NAS in a closet) makes it an instant winner for me.

But it obviously plays a big role that I want to follow good practice and have 3 copies of data, so the gains you think your USB drives at other location has, I have at home even faster with my own USB backup copy

-- hide signature --

Happy Nikon Shooter
See my articles and galleries at: https://wolffmadsen.dk

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow