Nat'l Bldg. Museum Atrium - Major Exhibit

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,556
Nat'l Bldg. Museum Atrium - Major Exhibit

I've previously posted images from one of my favorite locations in Washington, D.C., the National Building Museum. It's central atrium is an unbelievably vast, sometimes empty, space dominated by eight Corinthian columns, each 75 feet tall.

However, it's more often the site of various events, such as Presidential Inaugural Balls, television specials, and an ever changing variety of special exhibits. This summer, for just two months, the atrium is the scene of what is, by far, the largest and most elaborate exhibit the National Building Museum has ever hosted.

If the ticket desk looks strange, it's because it's front and side faces are covered by reflective mylar mirror film.

For many, there's nothing special about lawns, but America is populated with millions of urban dwellers for whom a lawn is something with which they've never had a personal day-to-day experience. This exhibit celebrates the fun things many suburban and rural adults and their children experience, but city dwellers are rarely able to do.

In the atrium's vast space, the museum's remodeling staff created a rolling hillside topped by hammocks, lawn furniture and a large central fountain. The fountain is a normal part of the atrium's space, but in this exhibit it is in the center of a 30 foot deep well surrounded by reflecting surfaces.

If you have a chance to visit Washington, D.C. no later than Labor Day, you really ought to see this for yourself.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper
-----
"Draw me a picture of an island without any seas;
show me a map of the whole world without boundaries."

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow