What RAID do you recommend/ do professionals use?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NilsDecker
NilsDecker Junior Member • Posts: 30
What RAID do you recommend/ do professionals use?

I just received a Qnap 4-bay drive with 4 x 4TB drives from BH. I have done plenty of reading both here and other places and think have a solid understanding on what the different RAID types are and what the benefits/downsides of them are.

However, I do have a hard time really knowing what setup will be best for me. Is there a "standard RAID" that every professional photographer uses?

My current workflow after a shoot is: 
1. Download images from memory card to two 4TB external hard drives (via Photomechanic). When traveling they first go on my laptop to at least have a second copy somewhere.

2. I then check out all images, use a star-rating system, delete non-keepers on the main drive (call it drive 1), all images are kept on the other (drive 2).

3. I have a (currently messy) system of doing a backup of drive 1 to Google Drive

With my NAS I am trying to be able to access all my photos when on the road. That often comes in handy when having spare time and wanting to do edits/ wanting to rate my work/ send it to retouchers.

Which RAID would you recommend? How would you handle backup after the RAID?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow