Is it worth upgrading tripod legs from a "good" set to a "great" set?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DigitalScott Regular Member • Posts: 160
Is it worth upgrading tripod legs from a "good" set to a "great" set?

I have a good set of tripod legs, with a great ball head. Manfrotto 190go! M Carbon legs with Arca Swiss Z1 DP ball head.  (The ball head is phenomenal, BTW.)  I want a tripod setup to hold my Sony a6300 plus a lens up to the large Sigma 150-600mm C (4.3 lbs/2 kg) and smaller lenses for astro-photography or several-second exposures.  I don't really have a problem with my tripod legs at this time, but I found a good deal on a Gitzo series 4 tripod.  The drawback with upgrading the tripod legs is cost and weight.  My current legs are 3 lbs (a little too light) and the Gitzo would be 5.2 lbs (a little too heavy).  Ideally, I'd like legs that are 4-4.5 lbs.  When I am zoomed in to 600mm, there is some camera shake if I touch the camera, but I think that will always be the case with any tripod.

My question to you...  If I upgrade my tripod legs to a set that is "great", will there be a noticeable improvement to stability, sturdiness, and damping?  I'm looking for opinions and experience with this type of upgrade.  Thoughts?

DigitalScott's gear list:DigitalScott's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +2 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow