New camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,587
Re: New camera

JD28 wrote:

I am a big proponent of the notion that you should buy to meet your needs in the immediate and not try to predict the direction of the camera market. It does appear that all the major manufacturers are shifting their focus towards mirrorless FF, but for my money, I'll take a great current system with a huge catalog of both first- and third-party lenses (DX and FX) over the possibility of having something great in 3-4 years.

To put a personal spin on it: I'm in my 20's, so health and life permitting I'll have many years of shooting and many camera purchases ahead of me. The system I'm in now will likely influence many of those purchasing decisions in the future. This past December, I had saved up a couple thousand dollars to put into some new gear, and when considering all the options in front of me -- all the market momentum, the push towards mirrorless, the release of the Z/R systems, the A7III, etc. -- I ended up going with the D500. Why? Because it felt the best in my hand and had a bunch of great glass and accessories available now. Is it the most "future proof?" Of course not. But will I (again, health and life permitting) get 3 or 4 great years out of it at the minimum? You bet, and for me, that's what matters.

So that's my advice: if you want to take pictures now, go out and find something that meets your needs and budget now, and don't worry so much about what's coming next. New cameras will always be in the pipeline, and you can drive yourself mad chasing that urge!

Best of luck to you!

Well said.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow