image quality comparison 5Diii vs M5

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dave Seeley Senior Member • Posts: 1,623
image quality comparison 5Diii vs M5

In another thread on the new M6ii, a question came up where I thought it would be very interesting to compare sensor quality of the new camera against that of the ff eos R (or 5Div) with equivalency adjusted out with zoom and aperture, and shot via the same lens (at different focal lengths for same field of view)...

It occurred to me that I could do that kind of test with the 2012 22MP 5Diii vs the 2016 24mp M5... with the ef24-70Lii. So here it is. Curious what your various eyeballs will tell you. My eyeball is seeing no discernible difference at iso 100. The M5 adjusted .3 ev to match exposure. Opened via Photoshop ACR with no lens correction or sharpening applied. stack and align as you see fit. exif data intact.

Here is a link to a .zip with the raw files

https://www.daveseeley.com/img/g503257127-o72787365.dat?dl=2&tk=bn0iZrUjLgx8Ns9GimVd0IT79kaeEUhWvhc4ldB2Bqc=

via the 5Dii

via the M5

-- hide signature --

pro photo-illustration - check my website via my profile

Dave Seeley's gear list:Dave Seeley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R +17 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow