Question about color checker

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
S Simov
S Simov New Member • Posts: 22
Question about color checker

Hello,

i've been bugged by this color checkers for the past 2 days , with no answer on google. I thought i might print such one instead of paying 100+ for it  so i checked around to see what do the colors represent.  And there are 2 things that bug me. Maybe i'm missing something, but i'll be glad if someone can throw some light on the matter.

1. The grey on every such 24-checker (all brands) shows white, few gray colors, and black. BUT the white and black are not like 100% (like 255/255/255 and 0/0/0)  but  more to the greyish (and esp the black one, that is far from the true black).

2. the 2nd row is primary colors -RBG and yellow, magenta and cyan... Yet none of these is like true red (255/0/0) . That is also stated in their description card.  The red color of x-rite is 175/54/60 which which is far from the true pure red.  Same goes for the rest of the colors.

So my question is - why is that. I guess i'm missing something here, but i thought if you need the primary colors for calibration, they need to be like pure ones.  I presume there must be some logic in that. I'm not questioning the other 2 rows, that were supposed to represent the "nature's colors", although i find the macbeth colors  little bit dull.

And ofc, i know that the monitor must be calibrated to see the real colors, i'm just talking about the color info and codes from photoshop,

S Simov's gear list:S Simov's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-A3 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow