A few loons with 500/5.6 + D500

Started 3 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Entropius Veteran Member • Posts: 4,354
A few loons with 500/5.6 + D500

These were taken from the back of a small boat in the Adirondacks. This is the first time I've done anything like this -- it's hard to hold the camera stable from a pitching boat!

These birds aren't that afraid of people, but they're tricky to photograph because of their habits: they're fantastic divers and swimmers, and pop up unpredictably in different places as they dive for fish.

All taken with D500/500PF and postprocessed in darktable. I'd especially appreciate comments about the postprocessing, since the contrasty white/black pattern on the bird is tricky.

This is a juvenile from this year. This sequence was tricky -- the bird was close enough that many shots with the wings fully extended had wingtips out of the frame. (I suppose this is why zoom lenses were invented, but I don't have one, and didn't have time to switch the 500PF for something shorter.)

This shot isn't cropped left-to-right; both wingtips were this close to the edges of the frame.

At one point an adult came up right near the boat -- too close for a full-body shot.

This next is uncropped. Framing this sequence was quite hard with the pitching boat; I'm not used to shooting from a moving platform, and most of these (even some with better postures, in particular the water in front of the bird) aren't framed well.

Entropius's gear list:Entropius's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow