Live view focus 80 D

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP sjs9828 Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Live view focus 80 D

Andy01 wrote:

sjs9828 wrote:

Reading, including the manual, about how the 80 d focuses in live view and why to use it.

Manual focusing, instead of auto focusing, seems to be the recommended way for people that are using live view to get sharp photos.

The manual says that live view will focus by using the normal focus points if the shutter is pressed half way (or BBF does the same as I've been messing with it).

I assume that this will give the same degree of focus as using the view findner and be effected by MFA settings.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I think your assumption is incorrect - LV is LV, whether you use a "normal" AF point or touch the screen, so it could be different to the OVF, and should be unaffected by AFMA.

The second way to focus is to touch the screen on the desired subject. I assume that this uses contrast, separately from the normal focus points, to focus and would not be effected by MFA settings.

Am I thinking correctly?

No, I don't think so.

Also, I do not seem to be able to zoom and touch screen for focus. I can zoom but it won't touch screen focus. I have the correct choice of the shutter being choosen (per the manual).

Also, when I change to focusing by a button it automatically goes out of zoom.

So, cnn I zoom in and then focus while keeping the zoom so i can see how well focused that I am?

Colin

I assumed that the focus points on the view finder focus in the same manner and location no matter which screen is being looked at.

I guess one way to find out would be to really skew my MFA and take shots in both LV and the viewfinder.

sjs9828's gear list:sjs9828's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 80D +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow