Storage Solution for Large Photo Collection

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ajscullard Contributing Member • Posts: 840
Re: Storage Solution for Large Photo Collection

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Does anyone have a good storage recommendation for a large photo collection?

I have a higher end PC with a Lightroom catalog of about 700,000 photos spread across 5 internal hard drives. In addition, I have a Drobo 5C that serves as my backup for the 5 internal drives. I have no offsite backup.

I was thinking of moving my Lightroom catalog from the 5 internal drives to an external system and continuing to use the Drobo as a backup. I was hoping to have an external array device that appeared as 1 volume and was easier to expand as my collection grows.

Any recommendations?

I would suggest doing a search here and in the retouching forum for "storage" and "archiving" - there have been several threads addressing this issue, mostly getting the same responses.

I use several internal drives designated as Primary and Backup to store all the actual files, a Synology NAS for secondary backup and several bare drives which I plug into a drive dock as required to provide off-site backup. I have always used Hitachi (HGST) drives and (touch wood) I have never had a drive failure in over ten years. I believe that Western Digital (WD) bought out HGST a few years ago, so if were buying new NAS internal drives I would probably look at WD.

I don't really use Lightroom, but I understand that it is best to keep the catalog on the same drive as your system, or at least on an internal drive simply for fastest performance. Backups of the catalog should be on separate drives.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow