No FocusDistance metadata for Z mount lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,389
Re: No FocusDistance metadata for Z mount lenses?

jch2103B wrote:

So it seems. My FX lenses (85mm f/1.8G and 70-300 AF-P) report focus distance, but that particular tag (Nikon::LensData0800\11\FocusDistance\0) doesn't contain data for Z mount lenses (at least not my 24/70 f4 S). In general, metadata is a mess, in large part because manufacturers (not just Nikon!) hide a significant amount of data they think only they need. There's a possibility that Z lens focus data is recorded in proprietary maker notes that aren't (yet) 'cracked' by ExifTool.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how accurate the focus distance data are.

Thanks.  I don't need absolutely accurate focus distance data.

What I was doing in this case was trying to determine which images out of 100 were shot at minimum focus distance.  Or, more specifically, which images might not be in proper focus because the correct focus distance was less than minimum, so I can delete them without having to open up each one and inspect focus.

Many of the images from the 500mm PF were reported as 2.99m.  I suspect these were probably taken with the subject at less than minimum focus distance.  While doing this I noticed that the native Z lens did not report distance.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow