Sony Alpha 7 III long term user feedback

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lélé Regular Member • Posts: 429
Sony Alpha 7 III long term user feedback

Hello!

I've been using a Sony Alpha 7 III for almost a year, in parallel of a Fujifilm X-T3, for recreational use.

Here are my impressions, in no particular order.

*Disclaimer: this is only personal opinion and may evolve through time, practice and discussions. Please do not hesitate to share your tips and advice.*

Pros:

• AutoFocus (AF) performances are impressive. Fast and reliable Eye AF is a real game changer for me!
  • Sensor performances are very good, with very good dynamic range at base ISO. Resolution is OK for me.
  • IBIS is really nice!
  • Battery life is solid, very solid! (The X-T3 smokes 2 or 3 batteries when I'm still on the first one with the Sony: impressive!)
  • The lens choice is quite good...and I must admit I would not have imagined that a few years sooner!
  • The camera ergonomics are highly customizable, even if buttons customization is less convenient than on the X-T3

Meh:

• I do not like Sony default color profiles, so it took me a while to get a proper color grading workflow. (I'm not saying that colors are bad, but with the X-T3 the embedded color profiles are often a good starting point so it required less experimentation to get something I like. It's also good to have nice JPEG straight of the camera for quick sharing, even if the RAW will be processed afterwards.)

Cons:

• Menus are horrible! That's not a question of number of options, but of organization and user interface.
  • EVF shows much more lag and stutter than on the X-T3 (and is not almost blackout free like the one of the latter). I suspect this is partly linked to the fact that EVF always preview the selected aperture, while on the X-T3 it does'nt.
  • The fact that the camera always close the iris to selected aperture can make the AF sluggish when shooting indoors with small aperture (for example when using a flash).
  • EVF resolution is poor (but the camera is almost 2 years olds, so that's not surprising).
  • There is a lot of rolling shutter in videos (4K) or in photos with Electronic Shutter.
  • Internal video recording is limited to 8-bit and not very high bitrate.
  • I'd like an aperture ring on all lens, not only GM and some third party lenses.
 lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Nikon D300 Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow