Upgrade from Nikon D3100

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OnlyHorwood New Member • Posts: 3
Upgrade from Nikon D3100

Hey all!

I am new to the DP community and am looking for some advice from some with more experience than myself. I have been shooting on a Nikon D3100 since 2013 but, have started doing more serious photography in the past two-ish years. I fear I have reached the limit as to what my camera can do for me and am looking into upgrading it.

I primarily do nature, landscape, street, and some animal/portrait photography with a 35mm f1.8 Nikkor prime, 19-35mm f3.5 Tameron (cheap manual wide angle), and 55-200mm f4 Nikkor as my telephoto. Occasionally I still pull out the kit lens but only on rare occasions.

Lately I have been moving into larger landscapes and astro-photography and this is one area I am seeing my cameras age. I have incredible noise at just 400-800 ISO so I have been stacking/merging low ISO images but, this is time consuming and doesn't always produce the results I want. I find I will get 'soft' images in a lot of normal situations as well. I think a boost in sensor quality and available megapixels would be beneficial in these scenarios.

I have also been shooting more portraits and some paid work and have noticed that the auto focus on the D3100 is very slow when it matters and jumps around a proper focal point, forcing me to manually set focus a lot of the time.

I also would benefit from more button and dial controls. When shooting on my Canon A-1 or Olympus OM-1, I can keep looking through the viewfinder and set change my settings accordingly and quickly without looking at what I am doing. When I use my Nikon, I need to move it away from my face and use the d-pad for a lot of the changes which is slow and can be cumbersome even if you know where every setting is (and having shot on this body for 6ish years I know it like the back of my hand).

So, I have been looking into a D7500 as I already have a small collection of DX lenses and jumping to full-frame would be much more expensive than getting an updated crop sensor. Would this be a good move? Living in a small town in New Brunswick, Canada means I don't have access to a lens/camera rental facility to try out new kit so I am relying on your expertise and knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

edit: I post some of my work to my Instagram - @horwoood if anyone is curious about what a D3100 can still do today. I can post higher quality samples if requested.

OnlyHorwood's gear list:OnlyHorwood's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3100 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow