Does Canon XSi continuously auto-focus in AI Servo while shooting (shutter full-pressed)?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ohaya
OP ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: Does Canon XSi continuously auto-focus in AI Servo while shooting (shutter full-pressed)?

Lemming51 wrote:

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

If I have my XSi set for AI Servo, and half-press, the camera continously auto-focuses (i.e., it will re-focus as I move the focus point to different places) when I have the shutter button half-pressed.

But, it looks like if the shutter button is then full-pressed, the focus stays locked onto wherever the focused point was when the shutter button was half-pressed. [Note camera is set for continous shooting]

AI Servo does attempt to re-focus on a moving subject between continuous shots. But may not be successful, depending on subject, speed, lighting, whether it is moving predictably or erratic. Plus the XSi is older tech with fewer AF points.

Yah, I know it is old :)!  I was using it to get "Canon-ized" (familiar with Canon) while the 80D that I just bought recently comes back from repair.

I will have to try again.  It seemed like it was just locked on the original focus point that it was on when I full-pressed the shutter button.

Jim

ohaya's gear list:ohaya's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus E-M5 II Canon EOS 80D Fujifilm X-T30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow