KODACHROME

Started Aug 22, 2019 | Discussions thread
PK24X36NOW Senior Member • Posts: 2,000
Re: KODACHROME

Plakanina wrote:

99.9% of National Geographic assignments were shot on KODACHROME 64.

Whether true or not, I can tell you this - unless you were shown the original slides, 100% of the NG images you saw were printed, and therefore by definition, processed and manipulated before you saw them.

It was predictable and usually under exposed 1/3 stop.

Not unless the film was "aged" or you shot with K64 "Professional" and kept it refrigerated. "Green" Kodachrome needed to be overexposed by about 1/2 stop, or it would yield dark, muddy underexposed images. And of course you wouldn't know until you got the slides back. And the "precise" amount of "compensation" needed was an unknown, so...so much for "predictability" with "green" Kodachrome.

Where I'm going with this is that shooting RAW each shot can get messed with in post from frame to frame therefore no consistency in color etc etc.

Or can be messed with in a consistent fashion, yielding consistent results.

Establish a JPG setting and stick with it. Throw your crutch away and be a photographer. Get acquainted with the light and colour that is in front of you. Are you a photographer or a lab technician ? I think most are now lab technicians now. I for one got sucked up into the 'digital photographers do it in the RAW '. No more, I'm not going to be naked, I'm going to be creative and clothed with whats in front of me.

Suggestion: Shoot with a smart phone. Then you'll get "consistent" SOOC results that won't make you feel like you need to "mess with them" after the fact. Perhaps you should speak to the ghost of Ansel Adams regarding your "theory" regarding what it is to be a "photographer" as opposed to a "technician."

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow