Inkjet vs chemical prints

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,355
Re: Inkjet vs chemical prints

Do traditional chemically-produced prints have any advantage over prints made with a modern ye printer on high-end art paper? When would you prefer one type of print over another?

In many but not all cases, chemically-produced prints--often called 'wet prints' and today made with the RA-4 process for color or traditional materials for B&W--are more water-resistant than inkjet prints. In some cases wet prints may be more abrasion-resistant. On the whole but dependent on many variables, wet prints are cheaper to produce.

For inkjet prints, I think you have to differentiate among OEM photo pigments inks (Epson UltraChrome, Canon Lucia, and the new HP inks for the Z9+), OEM photo dye inks (Canon ChromaLife 100+ and Epson Claria HD), and all other inks. IMOPO, the 'all other inks' category is not suitable for serious photo printing, with very rare exceptions.

I like to print at home with my photo inkjet because it gives me more control, more options, better quality, and immediate results. Generally, photo inkjets offer far more paper / surface options. Generally, photo inkjets are practical for home use, but wet printing is not--other than B&W wet prints made from film negatives. Generally, photo pigment inkjet prints last far better than wet photo color prints, and photo dye inkjet prints last about as well or better, but that depends a lot on what papers the various prints are made on. The limiting factor on B&W wet prints appears to be mostly the degree of OBAs in the paper.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow