Butterfly macros & image stacking

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hifi
hifi Senior Member • Posts: 2,559
Butterfly macros & image stacking

As a change from the more regular butterfly shots (which I still love), at a recent photography group outing to butterfly conservatory, I decided to do more extreme macros of the butterflies to get in real close and capture the very fine details of the eye segments and the body. I have always enjoyed macros of all types, especially this type. I focused mainly on 2 types of shots: regular raw shots with flash, and using the 6K photo mode of the G9 to get multiple shots of the insect while I moved back and forth with the plan of extracting multiple jpg's to stack for more DOF. In the 6K photo mode, I new I would need more light, so before the event I purchased a Lume Cube Air to provide some continuous lighting on the subject. The Lume Cube is really neat. They are not cheap, but it worked very well, so for me it was a good purchase. I used a free software player called PotPlayer to extract the jpg's from the G9 MP4 files, then loaded them into PS for auto-align and then auto-blend ability to create a single, greater DOF shot. I was just putting in many shots as an experiment, and I know this was probably overkill, but I would bring in around 100-200 shots and let PS work with those. Very demanding on the computer!

These are my best results from that day, but plan to try and refine my hardware / software techniques even more. I am researching dedicated stacking software like Helicon Focus and Zerene Stacker but so far PS is working ok. Does anyone care to share their experiences with these software packages?

Thanks for looking!

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow