Dynamic range of various cameras

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,951
Dynamic range of various cameras

Understanding all the aspects of digital photography can be a daunting task, especially for those of us scientifically challenged.

Folks that better understand the science of how digital pictures are made sometimes brag about how their camera or the camera they want to buy has a really big dynamic range.

I looked up what I could on the subject and discovered those that measure dynamic range claim human eyeballs max out about 24 f stops of dynamic range, but without adjustment to the light a human eye has somewhere about 14 f stops of dynamic range, which is all you could really expect a camera to do, because cameras can’t contract or enlarge their pupils.

And to my delight I found out that Olympus is among the best cameras for dynamic range, especially using JPEG only, but of course not quite as good as a real Leica or the best full frame sensors.

But 12 stops of dynamic range, is way up there for a camera.

https://www.pdnonline.com/gear/cameras/medium-format/the-best-still-cameras-for-dynamic-range-ranked/

What I was wondering, is has Olympus reached about the maximum of dynamic range, given that the potential for better dynamic range seems to be limited by sensor size?

What we have is good enough, but more dynamic range is always a good thing, I suppose.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow