A very capable camera but with some limitations.

Started 4 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
angeC Forum Member • Posts: 62
A very capable camera but with some limitations.

It's indeed a great camera.

The AF is good (sometimes it hunts a bit, especially because it lacks a larger number of cross-type points). I'm pretty sure Canon's 45 AF-points system is better, but Nikon's is still very good.

IQ is superb. Colors are great, DR is great, high ISO performance is amazing. 20.9 MP are more than enough for me (and for most people). And since it lacks an AA filter the images it takes are very sharp. I don't print but I like to pixel peep and so far so good. It's the best APS-C sensor on the market, but even the counterparts are good. The D7200's and 80D's sensor are good too, don't get me wrong, and I wouldn't probably be able to tell the difference between an image shot with each of these cameras.

The ergonomics are great, I like the front and back dials to change shutter speed and aperture, and I like the new placement of the ISO button. I've also reprogrammed the video record button to change the metering system. The grip is much better compared to the other D7xxx's cameras, but I preferred - having big hands - the 80D's grip more (that grip was amazing, for real). Anyways, go to a store and try each camera first yourself, it's a wise idea.

The build quality is very good. It feels solid in the hands and I wouldn't mind taking it in some harsh weather.

8 FPS continuous shooting is great, just two less compared to the D500 and 7D Mark II.

The tilty screen is great but this is still a Nikon, and LiveView AF sucks. Don't by this camera for video. Period.

1 card slot hurts, can't deny it.

No battery grip sucks too. What were you thinking at Nikon!?

The depth-of-field button is gone too, but I don't miss it much. You can still use LiveView.

The highlight-weighted metering is great and very useful in certain lighting situations. A very good thing to have.

Overall this is a good camera, just with some limitations that don't make it a good pick for professionals. But for a beginner like me, this camera works and works great.

-- hide signature --

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don’t worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” — Walter Hagen

angeC's gear list:angeC's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
Nikon D7500
21 megapixels • 3.2 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Apr 12, 2017
angeC's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow