Oly E-M10ii 12-40/2.8 vs Fuji X-T20 18-55/2.8-4 some open questions

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
solars Regular Member • Posts: 121
Oly E-M10ii 12-40/2.8 vs Fuji X-T20 18-55/2.8-4 some open questions

Hi there,

I've narrowed down my lightweight hiking camera choice thanks to this very helpful thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62992089

What's left are these two combinations which I now have here:

Oly E-M10ii 12-40/2.8

Fuji X-T20 18-55/2.8-4

I have to admit this is a very tough choice for me.

Currently I like the Fuji more, reasons are:

- aspect and resolution, I naturally crop 4:3 images, APS-C is much closer to what I actually use, especially for landscape shots. This, combined with a larger resolution is a benefit. I noticed that with 16MP I reach the cropping limitations faster (had a Sony Next before with 16MP).

- very nice manual controls, I love those knobs, never had a digital camera with such manual controls and aperture ring

- lighter (minor reason), it feels more compact, on paper it's 110g less with the above combination

Benefits of the Oly are IBIS, fixed aperture 2.8 and wider lens

What I'm wondering is:

The Oly has IBIS which is said to give 4 stops. The Fuji has OIS on the lens, there is a review here:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/fujinon/xf-18-55mm-f2.8-4-r-lm-ois/image-stabilization-test/

APS-C also allows to increase ISO later than MFT.

My question is: How does this difference manifest in practical use? Does anyone have experience with both combinations/features and can maybe share an impression?

Thank you very much!

Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow