28mm 1.4E vs 24-70mm 2.8G

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vladiator Junior Member • Posts: 26
28mm 1.4E vs 24-70mm 2.8G

Hi all

Currently, I shoot with D850 with Nikons 14-24mm, 24-70/2.8G, 70-200/2.8VRII, and I have recently acquired my first prime lens - 105mm 1.4E.

I typically take photos of landscapes, for which I have been using the Holy Trinity. However, I also try to bring my camera whenever I travel for pleasure, when photography is not the main purpose of the trip, but when I might end up taking the photos of the city/people I am with. For such trips, I used to take all my lenses with me, but I have now realised that I typically just end up using 24-70mm. As such, I want to be more selective with what I choose to bring with me next time.

24-70/2.8G has served me really well over the years. But I have been really pleased by the quality of my new 105/1.4E. As such, I am really tempted to get 28/1.4E, which has been reviewed really well, and which is a more useful focal length for walking around.

As such, my main question is if, in the context of travel and environmental portrait photography, the IQ of 28/1.4e (sharpness, bokeh, etc) would be noticeably better than that of 24-70G on D850?

I checked, and I mostly use my 24-70 at 24mm and 70mm FLs. So I thought that if I get 28mm, then I would bring it with 105mm, and compensate for the differences by moving around.

I note that I don't make money from photography, but I can support my hobby. However, want to make sure that I am not throwing away the money for no noticeable gains...

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow