What would you add for this fall colors trip?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,528
What would you add for this fall colors trip?

I own a D750, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120 f/4, good tripod and ballhead.

We are planning a 12 day trip to Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont around the time of fall colors in October.  We'll be sightseeing by car and day hikes with good amounts of time in Boston, MA, Bar Harbor, Maine, the White Mountains of New Hampshire and Stowe, Vermont and I'm planning on really concentrating on my landscapes.

I'm trying to decide if I should rent any additional equipment for the duration of the trip.

I've been very pleased with the Tamron 15-30 so I feel pretty well covered in that range.

The 24-120 is a great range, fairly sharp in the middle when stopped down a bit and not pushed all the way to 120, but not great across the whole field.  So, there's definitely some room for improvement there, but if I'm shooting predominantly landscapes at f/8, I'm not sure how much difference better optics would make?

I could rent the 24-70 f/2.8 in search of better IQ in that range?

I could rent a D850 in search of higher resolution and a little more cropping room?

I could rent a 70-200 f/4 to give me some longer reach and better IQ past 70mm?

Any particular primes that might be awesome for landscapes, not too bulky/heavy and not too expensive to rent?

I even toyed with renting a Z7 and FTZ adapter and perhaps the 24-70S, but my 15-30 is not yet compatible (Tamron has said a firmware upgrade is coming sometime) and it starts getting pricey to rent the Z7 and multiple pieces of glass for it.  Plus, I'm not at all familiar with the Z cameras so a trip like this probably isn't the best place to be learning how to use a new kind of camera.

Any  suggestions or recommendations or just helpful discussion?

-- hide signature --

John

Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow