Focus breathing? Please enlighten me.

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dr_Love
Dr_Love Contributing Member • Posts: 656
Focus breathing? Please enlighten me.

I'm not afraid of looking stupid so I will just have to ask. I generally like to think of myself as someone that can figure things out from context as to the meaning of a new word or term. The problem that I am having is that the term focus breathing seems to be used in a number of different contexts so I don't know what is correct use of the term and what is not.

From what I have seen on Youtube with Tony Northrupp the term focus breathing is used to describe a reduction in focal length the further you get from infinity focus and it only applies to zoom lenses. Example is when a 70-200 is set at 200 but the subject is very close. The focal length shortens significantly. Don't quote me as fact but I think I recall one lens at 200 was more like 160 (possibly 135 I can't remember for sure). He had a very detailed explanation of what Focus breathing was and the physics behind it.

Today I saw DPReview use the term in the review of the Sony 35/1.8 fixed lens. They did not elaborate on what the term means.

I have heard others refer to focus breathing as when a contrast detect AF system flutters back and forth to find focus. Most recently to describe a Panisonic S cameras in video mode.

At this point I only have one question. What is the correct definition of focus breathing?

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow