Telephoto zoom lens with larger focal distances for Nikon D7500 (APS-C)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
michal_tarana New Member • Posts: 3
Telephoto zoom lens with larger focal distances for Nikon D7500 (APS-C)

Hi everybody,

I am considering a telephoto zoom lens for my Nikon D7500. I currently own Nikon 50mm F1.8 AF D and Tokina 100mm F2.8 Macro. Although I am quite happy with them, I am looking for even longer focal distances. Something like Tamron 70-200mm/F2.8 G2. I have several reasons for this thought.

I like to take outdoor portraits with natural light where my subject is well separated from the background. In certain situations, my 100mm lens is not enough.

In street photography, I encounter situations where I want to separate a more distant subject from the background. A street artist, for example, that I cannot approach enough to use my current gear. Other times, I find myself relatively far from the scene I want to capture and there is either not enough time to get closer or my closer presence would not be appropriate. Although I understand that 70-200 is not exactly the most typical street photo lens, I think it could be helpful.

I am considering F2.8 version because I would like it to be fast and to perform well handheld in good lighting conditions. Previously, I owned a Sigma 80-300 F/4 - F/5.6 and my pictures were always underexposed at the handheld-friendly shutter speeds or blurred at lower shutter speeds. I am looking for something faster, although I understand that the larger focal lengths are always challenging without a tripod.

The problem is that my camera has APS-C sensor and it is not really possible to replace it by FF soon. I know that it is not ideal to use the FF lens on the crop camera. They are sometimes even less sharp than the lenses for the crop cameras, there is a lot of light just thrown away, etc.

So my question is whether there is any crop lens with somewhat similar focal distance range to 70-200mm F/2.8 that is optically decent and comparably fast. If not, is it reasonable to use the FF Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 G2 with my camera, in terms of sharpness overall optical performance? Thank you for any comment.

Nikon D7500 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow