Native Lake Hike - Mount Massive Wilderness, CO.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Newbie Phewbie Senior Member • Posts: 1,507
Native Lake Hike - Mount Massive Wilderness, CO.

A hike to Native Lake in the Mount Massive Wilderness. A climb through evergreen forests leads to a vast alpine meadow above the tree line and then you descend to Native Lake. A beautiful hike with a little of everything.

All pictures with the A6500 w/18-135. This is an awesome package for hikers. Light & compact enough to sling across your body while hiking.  Processed in LR & NIK

This view just before the trail head was spectacular - had to pull over. The mountains are part of the Continental  Divide

The trail starts in beautiful evergreens

I haven't identified this flower yet - very subtle blue.

A mountain chickadee

Good views of the continental divide when the trail neared a clearing.

Then it emerges into this open meadow above the tree line with grasses and willows & beautiful views.

Our first glimpse of Native Lake. We'd soon descend into the trees again

A panorama from the same spot. I prefer the earlier picture.

Native Lake. We didn't dawdle here - too many mosquitoes.

We passed a this stream a number of times - lush with green & wildflowers. Looking up

... looking down.

Aphrodite Fritillary

Indian Paintbrush comes in a variety of colors. I just learned that it is a parasitic plant.

Lousy picture - but that's Leadville CO, the highest city in the US at 10,150 ft.

Newbie Phewbie's gear list:Newbie Phewbie's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow