Liquid Damage P1000. Sweat or Florida Humidity? How avoid?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BirdmanFL New Member • Posts: 2
Liquid Damage P1000. Sweat or Florida Humidity? How avoid?

I've been using my P1000 in the field in Florida for nature photography throughout the summer.  In early August the camera stopped working. I sent it in for warranty repair. It was determined to be "liquid damage" not covered under warranty. Disappointed, I paid the nearly $400 to have them start fixing it. Since I don't fully understand what caused the "liquid damage" I worry that it will happen again. The last time I used it it was a hot and humid day (typical Florida summer), so the only thing I can come up with is that the camera couldn't handle high humidity in the field and condensation occurred in the inner electronics, or that perspiration from my shirt seeped into the camera.  Or maybe some moisture on some vegetation transferred to the exterior of the camera as I walked through the habitat, and that was enough?

In doing some quick Google searches I see a note that this camera does not have an "Environmental Seal". I'm not sure what that means or if all zoom camera can't have a seal by nature of their mechanics.

I also now see in the specs https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/p/p1000/spec.htm that it says "humidity 85% or less (no condensation)"  If the camera isn't supposed to be operated above 85% humidity, then that will make it quite inconvenient for field use in Florida.  Is 85% a typical threshold for a camera, or is the P1000 more sensitive to higher humidity than most cameras?

The repairs should be done in a few weeks.  Naturally, I would like to avoid having the same thing happen and having to pay big bucks again.  Has this happened to other people?  What recommendations might you have?  I was thinking of getting a few desiccant pouches to put in the camera case to absorb moisture after an outing, but maybe that won't be enough?

Looking to a future camera, can someone recommend a big zoom camera like the P1000 that would be less sensitive to humid field conditions?

Below are photos from the Nikon lab showing the "liquid damage" they found.  From the pattern of damage, it it possible to determine whether this is from interior condensation or from moisture droplets passing through the camera housing.

Thanks!

Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow